CUE MAKING WORLD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CUE MAKING WORLD

ALL ABOUT CUE MAKING

4 posters

starting out

chad_kandaris

starting out Empty starting out

Post  chad_kandaris Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:21 am

I would like some advice on what lathe to get to start out. I know the cuesmith is good but a friend of mine has one and says the tail stock is not very accurate and he has had problems doing joints. Then the porper looks better but more money and does not seem to come with as much stuff. If I have about 5k to start, what would you recommend???
    JollyCamper

starting out Empty Re: starting out

Post  JollyCamper Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:11 pm

Both the lathes you mentioned have their good and bad points. They both claim to do everything, but don't do everything well.
    The double chuck headstock of the Cuesmith is a plus IMO. The Porper is a comfortable lathe to use. I like it for doing tip, ferrule and joint work. The feedscrew design is problematic, underpowered for heavy work and overpriced IMO.
    Lee from Brianna has made some significant design upgrades with the new lathe he is offering. I would be checking this machine out before buying anything. Will also leave you with some cash to buy wood, tools,cue supplies, dust collection, etc.
    http://www.briannaproducts.com/index.html
    Happy shopping!!

JC
    makecues
    makecues

Post  makecues Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:03 pm

I have a Porper B model with modifications . 5" 4 jaw chuck -w- indexable backplate ,quickchange toolpost set ... the Hightower deluxe is good , but Lee at Brianna is coming out with his lathe that has some nice features that anyone would like . I'm getting one with the steel bed . Hightower has the best quill tailstock right now ... For ease of setup and use either one will suffice ... With the Porper you will have to spend for some tooling or make your own ... Your best bet is the Brianna or Hightower to start with ... Cool
    Trent
    Trent

Post  Trent Tue May 11, 2010 10:33 am

i have a deluxe cuessmith and honestly i wish i would have bought a full size metal lathe for the money, much more accurate and the feel is so much better my father is a part time gunsmith and has a grizzly 14x40 i use for all my joints and pins.

my advice is watch craigslist and find a nice metal lathe for around 1500-2000 and add some taper bars $650 http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=186524 heres a great addition to a metal lathe.
    a rear chuck for your lathe for right around 100 and a couple hours of work of makjing a sleeve to attach it and spend the rest on glue tips wood pins rings the list goes on and on and on lol

if i had the money to do it all over again this is what i would do.
    Trent
    Trent

Post  Trent Tue May 11, 2010 11:22 am

or if your intrested ill sell you a complete cue making package!!!

a hightower deluxe with everything one comes with except a router the brushes are fried on the one i use on the deluxe
    has the extra steady rest also

a full length pantograph inlay machine kind of like chrises bit longer so there isnt as much adjusting. has a good amount of patterns 5 total i believe.

and enough nice turning squares to make about 3 cues, and ill throw in shaft squares and pins with inserts

all for 4000 What a Face plus shipping and insurance

decent deal and you stay under budget enough to buy more material.

email me at marleycustomcues@yahoo.com if your intrested

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm